Is your moving day approaching? Wow, that is so exciting! Are you ready? Probably not, considering you are looking for tips and tricks on how to make the whole process easier online. Don’t panic, I believe that you have started with the process early and now you are thinking about whether you should hire packers and movers or stick with professional movers only. In this text, I am going to bring up some downsides of packing on your own, but also why you should consider doing it solo. Let’s go!
The main questions to ask yourself before deciding not to hire packers and movers are:
- How much time do you have until the moving date?
This one is crucial. The general rule is to have your home packed up and ready to go at least a day before your local movers arrive. Our lives can get super busy and chaotic, and you might need to move out even before then you have planning initially, and you will have to schedule your local movers at the last minute. Hiring packers and movers is perfect when you are moving on short notice. This way you will avoid all the stress about packing at the last minute, and not to mention that you will keep many of your items from damages. Put it like this – professional movers and packers will pack up and move your home in a day or two, depending on the size. And if they need a day, you will need at least a week of constant packing. And if your packers and movers need two days, who knows how much time you might need.
- What is your moving budget?
No matter how affordable movers you have found, hiring both packers and movers will be a bit more expensive than it is to pack on your own. There are two types of professional movers – those who are charging hourly rates and those who are charging flat rates. Either way, your relocation will be more expensive. If your local movers are charging hourly, when they are packing for you the whole process will last longer. Therefore, it will be more expensive. On the other hand, if your packers and movers are charging flat rates, there will be an additional charge for packing. But don’t worry, if you don’t have enough time to pack up, you can always find affordable movers who can take care of your relocation completely.
- Are you skilled enough to do it?
Is this your first time moving? In that case, you probably have no idea what you need to do and where even to start. Having to pack up your entire home on your own might be too stressful for you. This also depends on the size of your home, if you are moving from a five-bedroom home, the packing will be torturing. In cases like this, I believe it is worth investing in hiring packers and movers. At the end of the day, if you end up breaking up a lot of your belongings, you will be paying a higher price, right? Packing might seem like a simple task, but you will have to think about a lot of things at the same time. However, if you do decide to pack your items on your own, I will offer you a few tips at the end of this text, so don’t worry, at least you will get the idea of how packers and movers are managing to be so successful.
- Do you have the energy to do it?
Packing might drain your energy. It will take a long time and you will have to invest a lot of nerves into doing it properly. Think about it, do you even have the energy to invest in packing? Or would you rather hire packers and movers and spend your time doing something that you love doing? Today, with many affordable movers available, you should opt for the second option for sure.
Why hiring professional packers and movers?
- It will be faster
This is something that we have already mentioned, but hiring packers and movers will make your whole moving process way faster and therefore less stressful. We are living in such fast-paced times, and besides our job, we barely have some time to spend with our family and friends. Why would you waste your time packing when you can hire packers and movers?
- It will be safer
Having professional movers dealing with your packing will keep your items safe and sound during the moving process. Packers and movers are always trained and skilled to pack even the most delicate items that you have. Just imagine someone packing up your dishes, so you don’t have to! Sounds perfect! Just call packers and movers and make it happen.
- You won’t have to do a thing
The only responsibility you will have on a moving day is to open the door for your packers and movers. Oh yeah, preparation for the move will be on the minimal level – you will just have to organize your new home for moving in, and of course to find trusted packers and movers to take care of your upcoming job.
- They are skilled
There is a reason why they call them professional packers and movers, right? It is because they can pack your items in such a skilled way that nothing gets damaged. Even if you are moving across the state, local movers can help you out with packing your items. Nothing is too fragile for professional packers and movers! You will be watching them packing up your dishes with amazement.
- They use the quality packing material
Firstly, I should mention that when you are hiring packers and movers you can choose whether you would like them to use their packing materials or if you would like to provide them on your own. Local movers are flexible when it comes to this. But if you choose to use their packing boxes, you won’t have to worry about their quality since local movers know where to get the best packing boxes for you!
Why not hire professional packers and movers?
- You don’t like having someone unknown going through your items
If you are a bit paranoid and don’t like to think about someone else going through your private belongings and packing them up, maybe hiring packers and movers might not be the best idea for you. Many people are not that thrilled having someone going through their personal belongings, especially if you are not even sure what you have there. Those are all your memories and the items with emotional value. It might be fun to go down memory lane while packing.
- You love to have control
If you are a person that loves to have control over every single detail, you might even enjoy packing on your own. When hiring packers and movers, that means letting them have control over everything. They will pack the items in a way that is the most convenient to them, regardless of the logic. And when you are packing on your own, you will be able to plan and organize your packing in a way that works for you. You can also set the convenient pace, some days you might want to pack a bunch of boxes, while the other days you will want to pack a box or two. And that is all fine, as long as you are ready to go when your professional movers arrive.
- It will be easier for you to unpack
When you are packing on your own, you will know (approximately) where did you packed what item, and what logic did you use when packing. Also, you will label the boxes in a way that is the most convenient for you and that will help you unpack much easier and faster. Professional packers and movers won’t be using the same logic as you, they will just pack the items in a way that will keep them safe. So don’t be surprised to find your dishes packed together with pillows or things like that.
- It will be easier for you to declutter
You should declutter no matter if you are packing on your own or hiring packers and movers to help you. It might be easier to declutter when you are already packing your items. You will remember everything that you don’t want to keep because you will have to go through everything that you have. And if you are hiring packers and movers, you will have to go through your belongings to determine what to keep and what not. This process might seem like a waste of time, but it is not, trust me. A new place needs some new energy, and you don’t want to overpack it with unnecessary belongings.
- It is more expensive
Of course, hiring packers and movers will affect your moving budget. If you are looking to spend a minimal amount of money, you should pack up on your own. However, today you can find many affordable movers, so if you think that the moving budget is your only obstacle from hiring packers and movers, you can do some research and I am sure you will find packers and movers that will fit your budget.
Tips for packing on your own:
- Start with the least used rooms and move towards those you are frequently using. This way you can start with your packing early.
- Don’t overpack the boxes, when they are light they are easier for your local movers to carry. And boxes won’t tear down.
- Add a lot of packing paper inside the boxes so there are no empty areas. If you prevent your items from moving – they will be safe and sound.
- Invest the most time in packing the dishes. Packing fragile items is the most delicate task of your packing, so make sure you invest the most time into this. Or hire packers and movers to pack your kitchen, while you can pack everything else.
- Pack and move your irreplaceable items on your own: documents, jewelry, etc. No matter how much you trust your packers and movers, you should move these on your own.
- Check what are the forbidden items for your local movers to move. This way, you will avoid any stress on a moving day. Liquids, alcohol, anything hazardous, and probably something more – those are all forbidden items for professional movers to handle.
- Invest more money into packing boxes. At the end of the day, these will keep your items safe during transportation and when your local movers start carrying those.
- Label the boxes properly, add some notes such as ‘fragile’ for your professional movers to know how they should handle them. It will be way easier for you to unpack when you have everything labeled as it should be.
- Pack an essential bag. Your local movers will load onto the moving truck everything they see, so you won’t have anything for your first night in your new home unless you pack an essential bag.
- Call someone to help you out! Don’t think that you can perform packing of your entire home on your own. Organize some (not so) fun time with your friends and family. Treat them with some food and drinks, and bribe them to help you out.
- Set the deadline for unpacking. If you don’t do this, you will be living surrounded by boxes for days and weeks. And before you ask – no, packers and movers cannot help you with unpacking. This is a task where you can rely on yourself only.
No matter what your final decision is – Rollingwood Movers can help you out. If you want us to pack and move for you, our local movers are trained and skilled to do it safely and efficiently. You will just have to open the door for us. Or we can just help you with moving. The choice is yours! Give us a call and get your free moving quote today. Our customer support agents are at your service every day of the week and they are more than happy to help you out! Or you can get a quote from our website. We are pretty flexible. Looking forward to helping you with your move!